Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Boise again

so i'm back. i had another funny home moment on thursday, in the middle of my day o' travel "out West". i got my awesome parents to drive me two hours from Boston so that i could fly out from Providence, Rhode Island - much cheaper than flying form Boston's Logan. (Thanks again.) i spent the 3 hours from Providence to Atlanta reading a book i picked up at Salvation Army. i tend to "get lost" in fiction, whether it's a book or a show on TV or a movie. it's like i live in that place/time/experience for a little. so after i "deplaned" the jet from Providence and started walking thorugh the Atlanta airport, i tried to orient myself: "Where am i going? oh yeah, i'm going home" and the image in my mind was Logan airport. then i had to smile to myself and remember that "home" this time was Boise...
but it's good. i'm looking forward to classes starting again and i love looking out and seeing mountains. i already miss having friends nearby, but i've got this stubborn hope that i can and will make real friends here. one promising thing: i think i've found a church. it's called the Pursuit and meets in a movie theater cause, although it has about twice the number of folks as River of Life, my church in Boston, the Pursuit is only two years old. i've gone twice now and so far the folks at this church seem real cool and so i feel very hopeful.
what else... other than trying to get back into practicing and working at Interlibrary Loan - very excting! - i am not terribly busy. which is fine. oh yeah, i am also catching up on past episodes of "Lost". yes, i too am a "Lost" addict, thanks to my roommate. i fell into it at the beginning of the season last fall and now i suffer from withdrawal if i miss an episode. to make matters worse - better? - Chica got the first season of the show on DVD for Christmas so i've spent a few hours nearly every night since getting back to Boise in front of her big TV catching up with the show. well, i am still on vacation, kinda...
well, gotta run. til next time.

2 comments:

Lance Fisher said...

TV on DVD is the way to go. Shannon and I have been watching old episodes of Tour of Duty on DVD, and it is so nice to not have commercials. It's like it saves me 20 minutes per episode. Season 1 is 21 episodes, so if I figure that I save 20 minutes of my life with each episode (over watching it on TV) that's 7 hours I save over the whole season. I'll pay $45 to save 7 hours.

I keep thinking that I should get a DVR (Digial Video Recorder) for my sattelite so I can just skip over commercials when I'm watching Sci-fi Fridays. Hmm, that would cost me $5 a month to save an hour a week. That is probably just as worth it.

sylvia said...

hmm. i'm getting PC magazine for my brother these days. it comes in the mail to me and then i send it to him because i never could find out how to change the address on the subscription cause... long story. anyway, i'll read almost anything even if i only sort of understand it so i was perusingg the 'zine last night. it's always touting the latest and greatest techno gizmo and i just think, "woah!" so overwhelmingm all this stuff, and half of it will be obsolete in a year. and i guess it's cool for some to be able, for example, to watch TV everywhere they go, but it seems a sad commentary on our times that we can be entertained by millions of shows at the touch of a button whenever and wherever we want. but do we really know what we want?
okay sorry to rant at you, cuchillo! :) a DVR sounds cool, really. it just remided me of teh other stuff cause it's one of those acronyms of new-fangled technical things i don't really understand! :)
and you're right about the joy of commercial-less episodes. for me the trouble is i find myself using that as an excuse to watch more than i really have time for, ya know? oh dear, what am i going to do about me, eh?