Wednesday, October 26, 2016

So, what is SF?

"SF" stands for Sean-Friendly.

My husband, Sean, has a laundry list of food allergies.   A food that is merely "Gluten-Free" and/or "Soy-Free" and/or "Nut-Free" and/or "Whatever-free" will not necessarily be something that he can eat.  I came up with the term "Sean-friendly" as a lighthearted way to deal with an often frustrating challenge: how to feed my husband without killing him.  Or making him very sick.  Thankfully, after two-and-a-half years of marriage, I haven't done either!

There have been a few close calls, though. Just after making a delicious meal with lentils, as we were literally about to eat it, I actually asked him, "Can you eat lentils?"

"I don't know..."

"Oh...  I guess I have to make something else for dinner now."  

Good thing I did, because blood tests later showed that he is allergic to them.  Bummer.

Anyway, in full, here is the list of things he must avoid eating... as far as we know... right now:
  • gluten (wheat, barley, etc.)
  • soy
  • peanuts
  • tree nuts
  • coconut
  • citrus (lemons, limes, oranges)
  • melons (honeydew,  musk, cantaloupe, etc.)
  • pineapples
  • cinnamon
  • corn
  • celery
  • lentils
  • garbanzo beans
  • anything procsesed on shared equipment with the aforementioned allergens and not specified as certified "whatever-free," such as oats, which are almost always processed with wheat
We are uncertain of mango and other more exotic fruits, but getting tested for those is low on the priority list as long as we have an infant to take care of! Thus, all the SF Recipes are free of those known and potential allergens.

And now, for a Dad Allen quote: "As one famous poet said, 'Now you know!'" :)

No comments: