Wednesday, October 26, 2016

SF Recipe #5 - Herb & Spice Meat Loaf

Oh, Worcestershire Sauce.

How I loved it - so useful in many a recipe to add flavor and that je ne sais qouis. And it was economical, too, because I would buy one jar, stick it in the fridge, and use it for months - years, even.

Then, I married Sean.

Just when a new dish is starting to look promising, the sauce appears.  I get that now-familiar sinking feeling as I realize I need to find yet another substitute for yet another recipe.  You see, I have yet to find an all-purpose substitute. The closest I've been able to get is using various Faux Soy Sauce recipes, then adding bits of other ingredients that are also in a Worcestershire Sauce. This is time-consuming and hit-or-miss, so each time I am able to adjust a recipe, AND it tastes really good, I'm pretty excited.  Here is one of the best meat loafs I have ever eaten, with or without gluten, soy, nuts... or Worcestershire Sauce!


Herb and Spice Meat Loaf
adapted from Betty Crocker and Joy of Cooking Cookbooks
serves 4-6

1 lb. ground beef
1 and 1/2 c. onions, chopped
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. dry bread crumbs
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
1 t. thyme
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground mustard
1/4 t. ground black pepper
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. sage
1/3 - 1/2 c. ketchup

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  In large bowl,  mix all ingredients, except ketchup, with hands.  Press into loaf pan.  Spread ketchup over top of loaf.  Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

No comments: