Sunday, April 20, 2008

Of the Dead and Dying

How's that for a seriously morbid title? I thought it might be a good way to catch your attention. But this post is not about people, just blogs and their links.

You see, once upon a time, a long time ago - back in 2005 - a bunch of my friends started blogging. We had lots of fun welcoming each other into the "blogosphere" and exchanging comments and posting sometimes witty, sometimes moving, sometimes dramatic news on these, our own websites. Then came MySpace, but it was ugly and spammy and so we used it rather judiciously. But then Facebook opened up to everyone, not just preppy undergrads, and it has proven deadly for the older version of blogging. I have hardly kept up this site at all until, every few months or so, I randomly hear that someone still checks it. So I make go at it, and find it's still fun, and I've decided "leaves..." isn't going away anytime soon. But of the links listed to the right of my posts, many haven't seen a new post in over a year. On the one hand, I feel bad just removing my friends' old blogs from my list, in case said friends actually resurrect their creations. On the other hand, I love organization and making sure my own little part of the web, be it very, very small, is updated and current. So I decided to write this post in order to both reminisce and to list a few of my friends' blogs that I'll most likely be be taking off the template in the near future. This way, their names and links will endure as long as blogger itself remains. In memory of all the good times...

el blogo de la falda
freelance poedry
ich bin ein londoner
jamey orange
ohiodawa
whence flies the knat

But perhaps the cycle of Blogger life will continue? Ladies and Gentleman, please welcome the Ocean Skater to the blogosphere.

3 comments:

Lance Fisher said...

It's good to do some spring cleaning and weed out the dead links in the blog roll. I need to do the same thing. I have in the past, but looking at it now, there are some old dead ones there.

I know some people delete their blogs when they quit posting, but I think it's cool to leave them up for historical purposes. Imagine if you could go back and read your grandfather's blog, or a 200 year old blog. That would be really cool. Hopefully, that's what future generations will be able to do. Rest in peace old blogs. They have some good memories.

Have you heard of twitter.com? It's all the rage now-a-days. Micro-blogging from your phone or computer!

KatieO said...

oh lance...always up with the latest and greatest :)

I've come back...a prodigal...my facebook ways not totally behind me but I do repent from my myspace ways.

You can add me to your list of "the living".

Lance Fisher said...

It's katertot! One of my favorite bloggers, back from the dead!