Thursday, August 06, 2015

further trouble with smart cars

As I first mentioned in this post in May, I've been shocked at how little is generally known about the the problems with all the fun toys (apps, streaming music, streaming maps, etc.) in new cars like the one my husband and I just bought after we couldn't find a good, lightly-used one.  I just wonder if I can hack my own car to turn all the apps and streaming stuff off!

*Sigh*

I am starting to see a bit more on the 'net about this issue, so that's good. Listening to Morning Classics on Montana Public Radio this morning, I came across "Tesla Model S Can Be Hacked, And Fixed (Which Is The Real News)," which led me to "Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway—With Me in It."

I'm also glad to see that some legislators are starting to discuss this: “'Drivers shouldn’t have to choose between being connected and being protected,' [Massachusetts Senator] Markey wrote in a statement shared with WIRED."

Well, I'm not sure I agree; I don't think we can "have it all" in life, in general.  I just want to be given the option of not having to be connected, as that is the best way to stay protected.  I'm worried, though, that it will take someone getting hurt or killed for this to be taken seriously and get legislation moved through all the hurdles of government.

We shall see.

No comments: