Wednesday, November 01, 2006

a sappy true story

i usually post on blogger and myspace cause my friend in China can't read blogger there... huh?? anyway, in response to my last post about Switchfoot, she wrote...
"So the violin is a him not a her! hmmm interesting. Now I am wondering the gender of other instruments? Are all violins hims? or just yours?"

so in response to that...
i don't know about other violins never mind other instruments, but my violin is a he because it's name is Vio III (yes, that's "Vio the third") and that sounds more male than female, right? back in the day when i was in elementary school i found myself calling my first violin "Vio" so i decided that was its name. my family is notorious for naming inanimate objects. all of our cars have had colorful names and my mom calls her flute "her first baby", so that's where i'm coming from. anyway, since i was too lazy to come up with new names for the two violins that followed, they have been named after their "forefather." :) and last year, late one night after a long day (or maybe it was early in the morning after a long night; either way it is imperative that i blame my goofiness on a serious lack of sleep), i decided to name my violin bow cause it's also important, and it deserves a name, too, right? i decided on "Lino", because "vio" plus "lino" is "violino", which is Italian for "violin." and, yes, "Lino" is female, because, well, a bow just has to be.
yes, this is all very sappy. so embarrassing. can hardly believe i'm posting this for the world to see... but that's what blogs are for, right?
:)

3 comments:

Lance Fisher said...

That's a great story!

In answer to your "huh?":

Blogger and many other sites are banned in China because it is not a free country.

sylvia said...

ahhh. i figured it was something like that. thanks for filling me in on the details.

lafalda said...

may i propose a change of name? i believe if your bow HAS to be female, her name would have be linA as opposed to linO in keeping with gender classification. uhhh issa true-a, no?