Sunday, July 17, 2005

Lawn Party

Two Chairs (take 2)
In the tradition of the great parties thrown by the Green Street Girls (Sept. '97 - July '01) and the Hyde Park Honeys (Aug. '01 - July '04), the Daughters of Yuill Circle (Aug '04 - present) hosted a smashing success of a Lawn Party this past July 2nd. I helped out as the event's official Office Administrator - that is, I made up and sent out the evites! :) Of all the years I've helped with these parties, this was one of my favorites. It wasn't the largest, nor were there as many activities as other years. I just found myself walking around, seeing little groups of people lounging here and there in the house and outdoors - it was a gorgeous day - and I felt really happy, like an acute case of joy and thankfulness for the relationships that surround me. My favorite part any of our large parties is when people from different parts of our lives came together and got to know one another. This party lived up to the expectation. There was my Aunt Brenda and Uncle Glenn (visiting the Northeast from their retirement home in Las Vegas) chatting with the woman I work for and a guy from my church. And then Bev, a lady from my church, was talking with another party hostess, Kate, and Jim, a young man from the Christian fellowship at my school. Then there was an art friend, a guy who paints sheep and lives with musicians I know from my school, eating and talking with my sister and a high school friend of ours and some folks who went to art school with my former housemates. And there was... it was just so cool! There's this line in a song by Sarah Groves that sums it up: "I wish all the people I love the most / could gather in one place / And know each other and love each other well" I guess I won't see this completely 'til heaven. So, until then, there will be parties, once, twice or maybe even three times a year. So if you are around Boston or Boise (or Missoula?), don't forget to look us up and find the party. And bring a friend.
Brad and Sue Allen brothers
the cool maca folks twenty questions on a tart box

6 comments:

Lance Fisher said...

Nice! Last week we had a park party in Bonner Park, and three of my coworkers showed up and got to chat with my friends from Chi Alpha. I think I have the same feelings about it as you.

sylvia said...

hmmm. i don't know what's up, but the pics on this post aren't showing up on any of the three computers i've looked at in the past two days. they are on flickr but not here. ??? sorry folks. i'll re-do the photos by next sunday, if they don't magically appear before then. shazam!

Lance Fisher said...

Hey Sylvia,

I just took a peek at the source for the page, and it looks like you are using the url for the page of the photo, rather than the photo's url. i.e. you are using:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30807712@N00/26622165/
rather than
http://photos21.flickr.com/26622165_614f19e3f1_m.jpg

To get the photo's url, just go to the photo page in flickr, click on "all sizes" above the photo, and then choose the size (I use small). Then below the photo will be a textbox with the url for the photo.

Then you can link to the photo page in flickr. For a good example of what this will look like, just click, blog this above a photo in flickr. Once you post it, you can see the code by editing your post. I hope that helps, in the meantime, just send your faithful readers to your flickr photostream.

sylvia said...

yay! thanks lance.

Lance Fisher said...

Glad to help! I like the photos.

Lance Fisher said...

Great profile pic too, by the way.